Monthly salary of UK programmers 2021: Programmers perform a variety of multifaceted tasks including but not limited to Providing valuable services across the economic sectors, creating code for software, computer applications and writing programs in the United Kingdom.
A Computer Programmer may work in Information Technology, Academics, Government Service, Medical field, amongst others. Their wide variety of task, efficiency, and the indispensability of their work in our everyday life makes Programmers to be high in demand, irrespective of the fact there are already over 408,0000 Programmers in UK as at 2020.
Who is a computer programmer?
A Computer Programmer is a Skilled Professional who codes, tests, debugs, and maintains the comprehensive instructions known as Computer Programs which devices must follow to execute their designated functions.
Alternatively, one may refer to a Computer Programmer as an Individual who writes and creates Computer or Application software by giving the Computer Specific Programming instructions. A Computer Programmer may also be referred to as a Coder, Developer, Software Engineer, Web developer, or Software analyst. Once again, their duties includes but not limited to: Testing and Debugging Programs, Updating and Expanding existing Programs, Inspection of Systems, Writing Code, Prototyping, Maintaining Computer System Software Architecture, Web Design, Documentation, Product Specification, and Cyber security.
Factors that determine the salary of a programmer
1. Level of Experience: Just like every other profession, the more experienced you are determines how employable you will be in the labor market. In the world of programming this is even more important because employers believe that experienced programmers are more likely going to be able to solve their problem and that is just true.
Most times, big companies search for programmers with over 5 and above years of experience. So if you are old in the job you are good to go!
2. Qualification: Many people believe that you don’t need a degree to become a programmer and that is not wrong. But the truth is that, a degree will show to your employer that you know exactly what you are doing.
Consequently, Programmers with a degree qualification are likely going to earn more than those without a degree because they are believed to be more efficient in their job.
Also see: How to overcome fear during public speaking
3. Specialty: Undoubtedly, not all programmers earn the same salary. Usually, it is believed that application developers earn more money than web programmers because of how complex programming in this field are. Though this can be disputed in some situations. That notwithstanding, the fact is that “area of specialization” also contribute to the salary of a computer programmer.
4. Employer/place of work: This is usually the case because the requirements and capacity of employers are never the same. What this means is that, programmers who work with big companies are going to earn more than those with small companies.
Salary of a Computer Programmer in the United Kingdom
A Computer Programmer in United Kingdom earns an average Salary of £30,000 per year. However, it is instructive to note that this Average Salary may be higher depending on the Level of Experience, Qualification, and Specialty of such a Computer Programmer in the United Kingdom.
Furthermore, this average Salary is not inclusive of Bonuses, Overtime, and that of Freelance Programmers who work on their own, transact with Companies and Clients and earn massively based on their own charge or rate.
How to qualify as a programmer in the UK
Stricto Sensu, to Qualify as a Computer Programmer you must obtain a Bachelor degree in either Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Development, Information Security, Software Engineering or Mathematics from an accredited College or University in the United Kingdom.
Alternatively, you may Qualify by obtaining an Online Degree in any of the aforementioned relevant fields from a Licensed Online School or by obtaining necessary Certifications in Programming and Certain Computer System (E.g CISCO Certified Network Associate, Microsoft Certified System Associate) or by obtaining a degree in other subjects, but demonstrating and having a strong understanding of Programming Languages, Operating Systems, and Computer Programs. You may thereto Qualify as a Computer Programmer in U K, and will be able to go ahead to build Valuable Job experience. Thus, earning Salary.
Advantages of being a programmer
Notwithstanding the Lucrative Salary of Computer Programmers in United Kingdom, Here are other reasons why people consider becoming a Computer Programmer:
1. Programming develops the Soft skills of an individual. Such Soft skills includes: Creativity, Critical thinking, Teamwork, Reasoning, Problem Solving skills, and Communication which naturally allows a Programmer to communicate with Clients and Colleagues in a bid to solve problems.
2. Programming improves your Multitasking Skills, as Computer Programmers usually work on Multiple projects or tasks at the same time.
3. You may Work Remotely, meaning that you can work from the comfort of your home without being required to transport to work everyday. Thus, a Computer Programmer in Nigeria may be working in U.K without even having the need to relocate to U.K.
4. There is a High demand of Programmers, meaning that there is Job Security, Abundance of Jobs, and Higher Salary for these Programmers.
5. Programming offers continuous learning opportunities and improvement of your Hard Skills which includes the Multiple Languages a Computer Programmer deals with.