We bring you an update on the African Development Bank Young Professionals Program i.e the AfDB Young Professional Program. This program is open to citizens of all countries in the AfDB.
List of AfDB and ADF Beneficiary Countries:
The African Development Bank was founded in 1964 by African states to finance development projects in Africa. It primarily supports its regional member states by providing loans to support the economic and social sectors. It began its work in 1966 and later opened its doors to shareholders from outside the region (European countries, Canada, the US, Japan, China, South Korea, India, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait). There are now 54 African and 26 non-African member countries. Germany holds a 4.1 per cent share of the capital, making it the third biggest non-regional member after the US and Japan.
Do you have passion and commitment to the development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? A commitment to engage in crucial issues in Africa’s development? Do you wish to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself and explore your leadership potential? If yes, then apply for the African Development Bank (AfDB) Young Professionals Program 2020.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a three-year leadership opportunity for the development of the Bank’s future leaders. They attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its regional member countries.
African Development Bank, AfDB Goals
The organization’s stated goals are:
Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
AfDB Young Professional Program Focus Area.
The Bank seeks to recruit Young Professionals in specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to the Ten-Year Strategy (TYS); the five priority areas of the Bank (High 5s) and People strategy. The Hi-5s are captured below:
- Light Up and Power Africa: Power Systems Development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate Change and Green Growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy Statistics, Policy and Regulation (energy statistics), Renewable Energy (off-grid energy access), Energy Partnerships (energy partnerships and stake-holders engagement, energy markets).
- Feed Africa: Agriculture & Agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production, and sustainability), Agricultural finance & Rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
- Integrate Africa: Development Research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
- Industrialize Africa: Private Sector Development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
- Improve the lives of the people of Africa: Water, Human, and Social Development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
AfDB Young Professional Program Eligibility.
- Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Have at least 3 years of work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
- Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platform designs and maintenance are required this year.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
- Have a passion for Africa’s Development
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation, and problem-solving capability.
- High business acumen and innovative mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you to work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
How to Apply for AfDB Young Professional Program.
The following documents are required:
- Maximum two-page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
- Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
- Ph.D. Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
- You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.
AfDB Young Professionals Program Application Process
Careers at the AfDB
The African Development Bank (AfDB) is moving to an online application process. The online application process will enable you to:
- Search current vacancies
- Create or update your candidate profile
- Apply for a vacancy
- Monitor Ongoing Status Updates on Applications
- Attach a resume or other file(s) to an application
- Send a job listing to a colleague
- Contact us
It will take a maximum of 20 minutes to go through the application process online. All information required for your online application form is listed and explained below. To expedite the process, kindly read through the requirements below before proceeding. Mandatory fields in the application form are marked with (*):
To apply for a position in the AfDB
- You must be a national of a member country: member countries
- Submit application for a vacancy as soon as the position is advertised, but no later than 11.59 pm (23.59 hrs) on the vacancy closing date. Vacancy closing dates are based on GMT.
Please have the following information handy before you begin to fill out the online form as you are not able to save your application as a draft and return to it at a later stage
- Dependants (spouse and natural or legally adopted children)
- Spouse – name and date of birth
- Children’s names, relationship and date of birth
- Educational Background:
- Name, type and address of up to two schools / universities attended
- Degrees obtained
- Dates of attendance (from – to, month/year)
- Major area of concentration (for each degree)
- Employment History: Current and Prior Employment –
- Name(s) of current and/or prior employer(s)
- Employment dates (from – to, month/year) and earnings.
- Names, occupation, relationship, addresses and email addresses
CV & Cover Letter
If you choose to upload your CV as a file, please note the following instructions:
Do not protect it with any kind of password.
You can only attach one single file; the maximum file size is 4mb.
Your CV can be uploaded only in any of the following formats: DOC, DOCX, RTF, PDF, TXT, and HTML.
You can use the text area for a cover letter and any supplementary information you would like to provide about your career goals, availability, best times to contact you, etc, not exceeding 4,000 characters
Upon completion of the form, press the submit button. The system will automatically check for any missing mandatory data and take you to the respective field for you to provide the information. After you have provided the missing information, you can go back directly to the “Submit Application” screen by using the circled numbers on top of the screen.
Due to the large volume of applications received for vacancies each year, the African Development Bank only accepts applications for advertised positions. Spontaneous applications will not be considered.
If you have previously applied for a position at the African Development Bank, data from your previous application will appear in the application form. You will have the opportunity to review and update this information as necessary.
Your email address will be used as your login name allowing you to return to our website to update your profile
In the event that you encounter difficulties in submitting your online application, it may be related to poor internet connection, file size of attachments, firewalls etc. In most cases, applying again later will resolve the problem.
If the problem however persists, kindly contact us at [email protected] and we will support you in submitting your application. Please specify the vacancy reference for which you are applying to and provide a detailed description (or a “screen shot”) of any error message you experienced. Do not send your application or CV to this email address as it will not be considered.
Thank you for your interest in joining the African Development Bank